What is Teeth Cleaning?
One of the most underestimated processes that we do in our daily lives is undoubtedly the cleaning of the teeth. According to many researches, it is found that people often do not clean their teeth properly. In most of the cases, their cleaning techniques and patterns do more damage than good. People always wonder why they have dental problems in spite of proper cleaning.
It is mandatory to have regular sessions with your dentist to get your teeth cleaned. Most of the dentists would advise you to come for the cleaning procedures once in every six months. The cleaning techniques involve pain, jaw pain and prodding. You can check with your dentist if you have any query about the procedure and they will guide you properly.
What are the teeth cleaning procedures?
- Physical exam: The process of cleaning teeth starts with the physical exam which is performed by a dentist. A small mirror is used through which he/she checks around your teeth and examine the teeth and gums.
- Removing of plaque and tartar around the gum line: There might be some scraping sound involved, but this is normal. Regular flossing at your home can stop the buildup of tartar. The dentist use scaler to remove plaque and tartar which is accumulated around the gums. More the amount of tartar more scraping is done to get rid of it.
- Flossing:Flossing is done by the dentists to take care of the minute particles that might have settled in between your teeth.
- Rinsing: It is advised you to rinse your mouth thoroughly to remove all the impurities that might have gathered.
- Fluoride treatment: A fluoride treatment would be given where according to your favourite taste like mint and strawberry, the fluoride would be applied to your mouth.
Who would need teeth cleaning?
Every individual can get this treatment at least once a year. Your dentist would advise upon having these treatments once every six months. These treatments are most advisable for children who are more prone to cavities.
Who is not eligible for the treatment?
The treatment can be safely taken by anyone irrespective of the age or gender. It involves prodding, cleansing and a mild jaw discomfort. Consult with your doctor about your fear and your needs. If you are a heart patient, do let the dentist know before so that some of the parts of the treatment may not be performed.
What are the side effects of teeth cleaning?
No, there are no side effects of teeth cleaning. You might have slight jaw discomfort as your mouth will be in an open state for an extended period. Patients who have sensitivity might feel minor zinging sensation in their teeth during the cleansing process. This pain is temporary and might disappear after few hours of the procedure.
What are the post-treatment guidelines?
You can return to your normal activities post the treatment. You have to follow the general oral hygiene laid out by the dentist and make sure that you adhere to them regularly. Your teeth and their condition can say a lot about your general health. Ensure to clean and floss your teeth at regular intervals.
What are the benefits of teeth cleaning?
- Cleaned teeth can prevent gum diseases and early loss of tooth.
- Removal of stains due to which there is discolouration of the teeth.
- Cleaning of teeth prevents cavities and tooth decay.
- There is a removal of bad breath that doesn’t go with brushing or flossing thus cleaning keeps your mouth odor free.
- There is huge change before and after cleaning teeth as teeth gets totally transformed as tartar and plaque is fully removed.